4AD Sliding Window Handles

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Stephen
First Name: Stephen

4AD Sliding Window Handles

Post by Stephen »

Hi everyone .. just had hood and side curtains made for the 4AD and had to take the window frame out for the upholsterer .. the glass weighs as much as the steel frame, so I thought I would try putting perspex in them to cut down on the weight .
Does anyone know who sells the small chrome sliding window latches ?
Regards
Stephen
kabu

Re: 4AD Sliding Window Handles

Post by kabu »

Hi Stephen,

Are you planning to use plastic that is the same thickness as the glasses? There is no latch on the side glass, just a handle that is press fit to the front edge of the moving front glass. The felt channel privides sufficient friction to keep the glass in position where it is left.

The original handles on my side windows were quire badly rusted so I fabricated new ones from stainless steel and polished them. Do you have the originals that you can use as a sample? Plastic side windows will weigh significantly less. The downside is that they will also scratch quite easily.

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
kabu

Post by kabu »

Here is a couple of pictures of an original side window handle and the ones I fabricated.
Original window handle
Original window handle
Fabricated window handles
Fabricated window handles
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Pekka ... Thank you for your post .. the perspex windows are 4.5 mm thick as against the originals being 5 mm or there a bouts,.. the nearest thickness to the original ..
I know perspex will scratch easily, but with the car not being an every day user I will do my best to cover the perspex when storing and be extra careful with handling .. the original glass is very scratched and to get safety glass cut and bevelled is out of the question due to the cost.
The weight saving is significant and worth a try .. if it is not satisfactory, then I will go back to the glass option ..

My handles are the same as yours and I thought I would try the easy option of trying to purchase them before attempting to make them.. but as I am having no luck, it looks like fabricating them .. yours look great with the curved holder .. did you weld that on after folding or did you make it in one piece ?

Regards
Stephen
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Stephen,
Try www.woolies-trim.co.uk
They have some pulls that should work. They won't be identical to the original, but should work fine.
Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Mark .. thank you for your info on the door pulls, but I went thru the website you put up and could not find anything that resembles the original Singer slide handle .. I checked other sites and as far as I can see their is nothing similar out there ..
No problems will wire brush the existing ones and paint them and will fabricate new ones when I get the time ..
Thanks for your help ..
Regards
Stephen
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi Stephen,

Here is one handle for 1/4" thick glass with similar attachment than the original singer handle.
http://tinyurl.com/pphbp7c

The good thing is that it is for marine use and made from stainless steel. That means that you can even cut and grind the shape if needed and then polish it and it still won't rust. I guess you might be able to find something similar from the local boating shops there.

Regards,
Pekka
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for that Pekka .. ingenious .. I will check our local marine supplier down this way .. I am sure I will be able to get something similar locally .. if not will order from the web site ..
Regards
Stephen