The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
50's car buff
First Name: Louis

Bracket attached to windscreen, 4AD

Post by 50's car buff »

Bracket left side
Bracket left side
Preview: Bracket on Windscreen, 4AD

Attached, I hope, are two pictures of the top of my windscreen showing the rod that is attached to the windscreen wipers. On the left side of the center rod is a flat piece of metal that sticks out past the center rod, the flat piece on the right side has broken off. I hope I am making myself clear. The question is: what is this part used for?
Louis
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Re: Bracket attached to windscreen, 4AD

Post by Mark Thompson »

Good Question. I am not sure, but I always thought they were travel limiters that keeps the arm from swinging an arc off of the windscreen. This would probably only occur if the motor gears stripped or jumped time. Any one else have any other ideas or know for sure what they are for? I doubt that it would be a problem to eliminate them.

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
50's car buff
First Name: Louis

Post by 50's car buff »

Mark: Thanks for your input on the bracket. I just can't find anything that tells me what they are for, I know they are not needed because my MGTD does not have one and everything works fine. I hope someone on the Forum can shed some light.
Louis
kabu

Post by kabu »

I wondered the same bracket and figured out also that may serve as a limiting the wiper travel. Another purpose might be that when the hood is up it keeps the hood fabric away from the wiper center axle.

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer