basket case

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
tinkerstoys
First Name: glinn

basket case

Post by tinkerstoys »

i have a problem. i have a 1951 singer basket case and do not know where to start. this car is apart, but 80% of parts are here. it is missing 1 wheel, a set of door hinges,1 door handle, horn and button, 2 strips of chrome on the hood, and a trunk badge as well as no seats.. everything else seems to be there, but in rough shape. the parts that are not on the car are in the attic of my shop. body is all dissembled. this car is also a right hand drive model. what I am wondering if this car worthy of restoring or a car for a rat rod of some sort. at this time, i do not know what to do.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: basket case

Post by mikeyr »

right hand drive implies a 4A/B, so very likely worth restoring if all the parts are there as you mention (even a 4AD would be in my opinion), the parts missing you mentioned are hard to find but are out there or some equivalent. Where are you located ? I bet there is a member near by that could help you get started, sounds like a fun project.

Rat rod or true Singer is a rough question, I have gone through that myself on a few projects. My Le Mans will not be powered by a Singer motor but its by no means a rat rod since I went with similar size motor and you could also but if you have the motor, its best to keep it that way. My 4AD I went to extremes to keep original, my Le Mans I wanted to but could not find a proper motor so I got a different motor/gearbox and of course now I have 2 LM blocks. If I restore my 1.5Litre it will get new power as well, I was into SUPER EXTREME originality 20+ years ago, now I just want to drive.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
tinkerstoys

Post by tinkerstoys »

mike, I do not know where you are located, but I live in east tennessee. yes, the car does have a motor. complete right down to the air cleaner, ihave not tried to start it, but it is not stuck. seems to be unmolested. no modifications. trans is not stuck, but the shifter and brake rods are. I have a choice of engines, stock, 302ford, 300 6cyl. ford, 1948 flathead ford, or 2.4? 4 cyl. ford. trans can be 3 spd st shift,3 spd with overdrive which makes it 4 spd, 3 spd automatic and also 3 spd auto with overdrive. the small 4 cyl. has a 5 spd st. shift. a wide range of fun in this package. I was looking to use the hubs and spindels (modified from a donar xr4ti mercur) as well as rear axle. this will give me modern running gears as well as 4 wheel disc brakes. the clutch assembly will need to be hydraulic because of right hand drive. all shift patterns will be the same , left hand. what a pill that will be. to many options, I just do not know what to do.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

302 is too much power for that little chassis, its been done before and first time on the gas the frame was a pretzel (maybe not first time). He had to strengthen the frame to extremes. Now there is a V6 in a 4AD and he is a member here, he can chime in on the work need to fit that but if you have a motor its a shame to rod it.

take a look here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=374
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
tinkerstoys

Post by tinkerstoys »

yes, I know the frame is to light duty to hold a 302. I have already considered that. box plating the frame with 1/4 plating and new crossmembers should carry it. to get to that point, I will need to build the car to a point of being assembled and then dissemble it to weld nuts inside the frame for add ons. and modifications. this way the frame will have a finish look with threaded holes where it is needed. I also feel the flathead v8 will be the same way. I think the car will look neat with a flathead and right hand drive. unique