Correct Fuel Pump

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
2001f4s
First Name: Scott

Correct Fuel Pump

Post by 2001f4s »

My 1950 Singer 4A has an aftermarket electric fuel pump which works very well. But to bring it back to original, and make it more unreliable :lol: I would like to install an orginal style AC mechanical pump. Can anyone tell me what the correct fuel pump was that was used on the 1950 Singer Roadster.

Thank you
Pipsqueak
First Name: Pip

Re: Correct Fuel Pump

Post by Pipsqueak »

You're in the same boat as me, mine also has an electrical pump fitted. I believe the correct one is made by AC with the part number C.6246ND.
2001f4s
First Name: Scott

Post by 2001f4s »

Pipsqueak, thank you very much. That is exactly what I needed.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

or you can do what I did the last few years of 4AD ownership. I had a modern fuel pump mounted by the gas tank that fed the fuel through the inoperative SU pump on the firewall. Pushing fuel from the fuel tank forward about 8ft and also up about 2ft is much better than the SU sucking the fuel those distances.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
wmcvey
First Name: William

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:10 pm or you can do what I did the last few years of 4AD ownership. I had a modern fuel pump mounted by the gas tank that fed the fuel through the inoperative SU pump on the firewall. Pushing fuel from the fuel tank forward about 8ft and also up about 2ft is much better than the SU sucking the fuel those distances.
I know it's been a few years, but do you remember where you got that electronic fuel pump ? Or it's model number ?
In another thread you said something about getting a low pressure unit. Is there a sweet spot in terms of a psi range ?
Or if anyone would have a unit number and supplier for a mechanical unit (new or rebuilt) as well, just in case we stick to that.
We're talking the 4AD of course.
52 Singer 4AD
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Post by tvdwerf »

On the Morris, I have an electric pump, and it is the original one.
On the 4A, I have also the original pump for the car, but the SU from the Morris has some nice points.
It is possible to empty the tank complete before the winterstop, and fill him with Aspen till the better weather.
But there is nothing wrong with the lower mounted original pump on the Nine engine, only after a while not used, it takes a little more time to get the carb filled...
Or you have to use the mechanical option to pump it by hand till enough petrol is in the Solex :D
Singer 4A 1950
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... tpumps.php

40163 FACET SOLID STATE FUEL PUMP. $49.95/Each

if you go electric... you need LOW fuel pressure pumps or put a regulator in... the above pump works great.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
wmcvey
First Name: William

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:11 pm https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... tpumps.php

40163 FACET SOLID STATE FUEL PUMP. $49.95/Each

if you go electric... you need LOW fuel pressure pumps or put a regulator in... the above pump works great.
Thanks,that looks perfect. Will be ordering one tomorrow.
52 Singer 4AD