Singer 4AD body manufacture questions

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
alsfarms

Singer 4AD body manufacture questions

Post by alsfarms »

I am hoping to learn a bit about the origins of the aluminum Singer 4AD roadster bodies. Does anyone here know who and where were the builders of these bodies for Singer or did Singer use several body builders? I doubt that these bodies were built in house by Singer. Next, were the steel fenders built by the same source or were they built by another manufacturer? Can any Singer expert share some knowledge on these subjects? Thanks in advance for any informational help.
Regards,
Alan
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Singer 4AD body manufacture questions

Post by mikeyr »

all built by Singer !

They had Big Bertha to press out the fenders and the coachbuilt body was built in house also, just like the motors done by Singer at Singer.

There are pictures of Big Bertha in Kevin's Book on Singer's
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
alsfarms

Post by alsfarms »

Hello Mike,
Thanks for the quick response to my body MFG. question on Singer. I would not have guessed that Singer had deep enough pockets to do all the body work in-house. I am a bit sporadic with my progress. Do you happen to be able to steer me onto a lower front valance panel for a 4AD? I could also use a set of hood catches.
Regards,
Alan Dewsnup
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Post by fly4ad »

Hey Allen,

As I remember, Phillip had a aftermarket new old stock front valance that he might be willing to part with.

Good luck,
Fred
alsfarms

Post by alsfarms »

Ok, I now have another question about Singer body building. Does anyone know if Singer also built body panels for other makes to help offset the cost of body building equipment during the earlier years of Singer?
Alan
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

dont know but I don't think so, never heard of them doing that.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT