1952 Singer 4 AD accelerator set up

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Stephen
First Name: Stephen

1952 Singer 4 AD accelerator set up

Post by Stephen »

Hi Everyone .. finally got the Singer 4AD registered and on the road ... but as usual I am having a few teething problems .. accelerator pedal is stiff and jerky and sometimes gets stuck .. as I had no accelerator cable or fittings when I purchased the car in pieces I have had to make things up, but obviously they do not work well enough.
Would some one be able to post some photos of where the cable attaches to the pedal, another where it goes thru the firewall and one where it joins the carburetor, from an original 52 Singer 4AD ..
Also is the cable the spiral metal with a braided cable inside or is it like a motorbike accelerator cable ??
can anyone also let me know the correct points number that fit the distributor ..
Regards
Stephen
BRG
First Name: Dave

Re: 1952 Singer 4 AD accelerator set up

Post by BRG »

Stephen,

Maybe someone else can post a picture. Mine I used a bicycle brake cable at this time as it is still just a running chassis.

The info I have for the distributor points are fits a Triumph TR-2. Single carb Singer. Not sure if a twin carb takes a different point set. You did not state single or dual carb set up.

BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Dave .. thanks for the reply .. the car is running a single solex carby ..
With the accelerator I have a small brass bolt with a hole thru it and a nut the other side holding it to the firewall .. when the accelerator cable is depressed the outer cable moves in and out of the hole, ,,, am I missing some type of fastening device that holds the outer cable in ??? or is that how they operate ..

Cannot upload images so do not know if these urls will work,,
Stephen
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

OK Found a distributor down here who had an old Bosch book with distributor points listed for 1952 Singer SM ,, they are BOSCH GL10 ..
Still interested in finding out about accelerator cable details if any one could help..
Stephen
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi Stephen,

My car was mostly dismantled when I got it so I had to figure out the (hopefully correct) way or attaching and routing the accelerator cable as well. I have the car now running and there was no problems with the accelerator functioning.

I did not find suitable detail pictures ad cannot take them today as there is some distance to the garage where the car currently is. Any way here are some drawings on the cable through firewall detail. This is drawn out of memory so it might have some details incorrect. Anyway, the part that attaches to the firewall has a stepped hole that goes to the engine compartment side. The stepped hole keep the cable jacket in place and if I remember correctly the inside of this part has a conical hole that alows the cable wire some movement.
throttle_wire_detail.JPG
Looking at your pictures, it might be worth checking if you have the part through the firewall wrong way around and the side you have now inside should be on the engine side. Also, it might also be that the accelerator pedal end is too high that could cause the following problem where the kink in the cable wire causes excessive friction and problems in the cable movement.
potential_problem.JPG
potential_problem.JPG (91.48 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
There is also a return spring on the pedal shaft, see the picture below. In LHD cars like the picture below, the spring is near the cable end of the shaft but on RHD it might be on the pedal end and thus not showing in your pictures.
gas_pedal_600.jpg
gas_pedal_600.jpg (86.97 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Pekka .. thanks for the information, certainly helps.
Your right, the part that goes thru the firewall is wrong way round, and i can soon rectify that,.. your right as well about the pedal hole being too high, I did not realize this until I uploaded the photos, so I will have to rectify that as well.
The spring you mentioned on the accelerator pedal is down near the pedal part not up high like the one you have shown ..
Thanks for your help everyone.
Stephen
50's car buff
First Name: Louis

Post by 50's car buff »

There should not be any play in the cable housing, other words the housing needs to be tight against the fire wall so the cable can move in and out without the housing moving. You may have the cable to loose, that is what happened on my car, to much play in the cable.
Hope this makes sense.
Louis
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for that Louis, I have tightened up cable and when the part that goes thru the firewall was reversed the hole in the pedal lined up perfectly.
The cable is held tight by the bracket on top of the rocker cover and seems to be working OK ..
Thanks for your help everyone.
Stephen