1937 nine sports restoration

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
cdk84
First Name: David
number: 4

Re: 1937 nine sports restoration

Postby cdk84 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:01 am

Did you send your engine to John Gibson, or are you buying a whole new engine?

froux
First Name: françois
number: 3

Postby froux » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 pm

I've sent it to Mr Gibson. The turn around time is ... quite long. :roll:

cdk84
First Name: David
number: 4

Postby cdk84 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Salut François,

Writing to learn how long John has had your engine?

I know there's a lot that needs to be done to make the engines reliable; they are the weak point of the Singer in many ways. Even though the design is a good one, the metallurgical knowledge in England was the weak link. You probably know the story that the blocks were cast and then put outdoors for 6 months to 'cure'.

There are some problems with that approach, but the fundamental shortcoming goes back to the crucible in which the iron was smelted. The ingredients were not well suited to the needs of an engine block. Although an engine block is hard, it wants Not to be brittle: its application requires a certain flexibility, due to the endless number of heat cycles to which an engine is subjected. Along with heat cycles come temperature extremes in climate.

At the affect of all these factors, Singer's poor metallurgy didn't hold up well, as evidenced by the very limited number of cars from this era that retain their original power train.

As far as we all know, John's work on our engines is the best available. It's probably worth the wait. Reports I've heard about the 'spirit' he's able to instill in his rebuilds will be rewarding. Please let us know! I'm most curious, as I may have to have this done to my engine.

Best of luck,

David

Return to “Pre-War”