SLC 2 connections

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
Joanymalony
First Name: David

SLC 2 connections

Post by Joanymalony »

I am trying to fit my SLC2 switch to the Le Mans but am not sure how it is fitted. It is my understanding that a threaded bar of 1/4" at one side and 5/16" at the other with a large central nut is attached between the two lugs (one on the steering column plate and one on the switch) Is this all that holds the switch tightly in place? Does anyone have a spare one ?

I would also like to gauge what interest there would be in new covers for these switches as I intend to have some made by 3D printing. Please let me know.
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

Re: SLC 2 connections

Post by DarcyG »

See attached, hope these help. Sorry will post tomorrow as files too big.

I am interested in a set, plus if it can be done, a 3d print/ reproduction of the steering boss
DarcyG

Post by DarcyG »

Photos, i hope they, sorry about oriantation, it was the only way they woul load.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
DarcyG

Post by DarcyG »

I used the casting shown in the above fitting a modern indicator switch inside the casting and connecting it to the shaft, i use the same steering wheel switch to switch left or right. You need to make and fit the bracket shown on the part named SLC switch see below photo of cap end, the shaft goes through one end and a bolt hold the two halves to stop the unit turning by itself. You also need to make up a plastic etc centre piece that fits between the two halves and, in my case, holds the indicator switch in place.

These castings from the late Dave Hardwick are just ok but not perfect.

If you want more photos of my solution let me know.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.61 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (69.59 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I tried to get some interest in 3D printing of these parts last year, I had a shop all lined up and did preliminary design work and there just seemed to be not enough interest to go on. I have a flawless original cover that they were going to replicate and also the main plate with the electrical connections. Unfortunately, all I have is the Hardwick steering column part and that was not good enough for a pattern to 3D print. It was not cheap, I spent a few hundred dollars before I backed out and I didn't even get parts for my car out of it :) Now the shop is doing well and no longer interested in doing small runs like this, they were just starting at the time I spoke with them and were willing to do a small run of 20 covers and plates for $2,500, not anymore.

I am going to mill out the base plate on my mill from Delrin and use my original cover for my switch, not ideal but it will work I hope.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Joanymalony

Post by Joanymalony »

Thank you both for your interesting and informative responses. I am also looking at getting the Steering boss and horn button reporduced and a company in Glasgow are willing to have a go. If they are cheap enough Iwill let you know.
I was more interested in the connecting bolt between the steering boss end plate lug and the lug on the SLC2 switch. I will post a phot of what it looks like. I think I will end up making one for the car.
Joanymalony

Post by Joanymalony »

This photo shows the threaded bar used to connect the switch to the steering box base plate lug.
SLC2.JPG
SLC2.JPG (24.82 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
DarcyG

Post by DarcyG »

I am definitely interested in the boss and horn button plus SLC. For anyone else interested attached is the indicator switch I mounted inside the SLC case, the down shaft connects where I have the test switch handle.
Attachments
IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg