Door ajustment

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
froux
First Name: françois

Door ajustment

Post by froux »

Hi all, my door do not fit correctly to the tub, especially on the lower aft corner :

On some other prewar cars like MGs there is a possibility to use a strap + a turnbuckle to adjust the alignment :

On my doors there is a large wooden piece across the structure which , i think, will prohibit the use of such an ajustment device :

Does anyone have an idea to solve such alignment issues ? :|
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Re: Door ajustment

Post by Mark Thompson »

I used a turnbuckle to adjust the door on my 4AD that has a similar door design. I used rods and drilled through the end boards and countersunk the nuts. On my car, there was sufficient clearance to pass the center support board with a 1/4" rod (a strap would even be better). You just have to offset the turnbuckle so that it doesn't interfere with the center support. I would mount the turnbuckle directly to the door wood on one end with a carriage bolt and use a strap for the other end to pass the center support.
Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
froux

Post by froux »

Thanks for your input ! :)
I will try this method or the one below with a simple bolt depending on what size of turnbuckle i can find. I found it on an mg td website.

froux

Post by froux »

That's how it finally ended, using a sailing turnbuckle.

It does twist the door when gently tightening, so i should be able adjust it closer to the body. :wink: