1934 Electrinic Ignition

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

1934 Electrinic Ignition

Post by DarcyG »

There is a 4A stream on electronic ignition but nothing in pre-war. I doubt there are any differences. There are three that have come up:

1. Pertronics
2. Accuspark and, potentially
3. C5 - see 4A stream

Has anyone experimented with any of these on the early Nines, any pitfalls, and what coil did you use?

Thanks for any input.
ringtrev
First Name: Trevor

Re: 1934 Electrinic Ignition

Post by ringtrev »

Hi Darcy did you use electronic ignition on your prewar....has anyone else?
If not where do you source points for DK4A and DJ4A
Thanks
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

The Distributor Doctor is a very good source of a restoration service as well as parts and advice. One thing they will tell you is that electronic ignition won't solve the problems caused by a worn distributor, so you have to ask yourself why you want to change. I do know that some people who have changed to electronic still carry the points with them as back up. :D
John Simister
First Name: John

Post by John Simister »

The Distributor Doctor rebuilt the distributor of the 1934 LM Nine I sold a couple of years ago, and incorporated a Pertronix electronic conversion in it. It worked perfectly. I have had Pertronix modules (sold in the UK as the Aldon Ignitor) in several classic cars over the years and have had no trouble with any of them, unlike with a cheaper Accuspark unit. I think it's a very sensible conversion which reduces maintenance, removes the side load on the distributor shaft and always works well. I kept the standard 1930s coil for the Singer. Given the Nine engine's low compression it doesn't need a massive coil voltage.

All that said, given that the distributor in my current 1936 Nine Sports is working well and is far off needing a rebuild, I think I'll leave it as it is for now. If and when it needs work, I'll go the Pertronix route.

John
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

I fitted an Accuspark baseplate to my Nine and kept the original intact as a quick replacement if required. The electronic unit improved the idling considerably as the advance weights were no longer fighting the drag from the contact breaker.

I had an issue on warm days with missfiring and eventual stop after about 10 miles. I changed everything - contact breaker, coil, distributor top, plugs - but the issue was only resolved when John Parker replaced the plug caps with resistive ones and fitted NGK B6HS spark plugs. Resistive spark plug leads are recommended by Accuspark. Since then I have done about 300 miles around Wales without any problems. I still carry my original contact breaker though - just in case!
ringtrev
First Name: Trevor

Post by ringtrev »

Thanks for the great input and some valuable tips.
I had the other question of where to source Points and condenser for DK4A and DJ4A distributors.
And a reference number for alternatives?
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

Original Lucas points - part number 400415 for DK4 - occasionally turn up on ebay. My problems started when I fitted a modern alternative which had a ridiculously strong spring.
John Simister
First Name: John

Post by John Simister »

Holden Vintage and Classic can probably supply DK4 etc points and condenser: www.holden.co.uk.