Help please identifying this Nine

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
Enricopalazzo
First Name: Dean

Help please identifying this Nine

Post by Enricopalazzo »

Hi, firstly I wanted to say what a great site you have here. I am new to singer cars and have learnt so much just from your site, thanks for taking the time to cpntribute so much especially as these cars are really unknown these days .

I was hoping I could get some help if possible. I am looking at buying a Singer Nine, from what the owner is saying is a 1939 model and was an unfinished restoration project. The car looks like it has a lot of Le Mans features particularly the grill, lights, front guards, door removal (or perhaps that's how this body was made?) and front hood.

From your expertise does this look like a genuine Singer? I don't want to buy something that is a kit or replica car. I understand that it may not be a genuine Le Mans model btw but just want to make sure it's not a fake.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1083761037

Really looking forward to your reply, thank you for taking the time to help.

Dean
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Help please identifying this Nine

Post by mikeyr »

it certainly has a lot of Singer looking stuff in it to be a original Singer. The front dumb irons look wrong compared to my 9 but they may have changed them for 1939, I only mention that because that could mean the frame is not original, from what little you can see of the frame it looks correct. The motor of course is wrong and you can see where they welded (poor quality welds) brackets for motor mounts.

It looks like a fun project to finish, not a fan of how the cycle fenders are attached but that is a detail. We have far more knowledgeable people than me here who will know for sure.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
DANISHPASTRYBOY
First Name: david

Post by DANISHPASTRYBOY »

Looks like a Bantam 'special' to me judging by the diameter of the brake drums. Possibly a chopped coupe. David
DANISHPASTRYBOY

Enricopalazzo
First Name: Dean

Post by Enricopalazzo »

Thanks all for your replies. Definitely appears to perhaps be a bantam, for reasons mentioned above. I think the chassis looks more bantam then Nine also.

When referring to singer 'specials' does this indicated the factory would make variations of different models, or that the owners have modified them to be something closer to other models, or Nine Le Mans replicas

Thanks!
DANISHPASTRYBOY

Another Bantam special. But not the Spikin's car though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Singer-Shels ... 25a926b8e5