LUCAS SLC2 Switch

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

LUCAS SLC2 Switch

Post by DarcyG »

Like many others I don't have one of these and so far have been unluck in finding one. I have the late Dave Hardwick castings and I have a photo of the top where the wires attach, but not the bottom where the switch turns.

I am thinking I can make a "new" switch is I can see the other side????

Has anyone tried this or how have they resolved the issue?
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: LUCAS SLC2 Switch

Post by mikeyr »

I am game to help on this one...

I have 2 SLC2 switches, both in pieces with various broken parts but enough unbroken parts to make one switch but I need 2 since I have 2 cars.

My thinking is with 3D printing it should be easy to make the hard part, the wavy disc in the middle (I think its time to take pictures because describing the parts wont work, I will take pics when home).

I work at a University (in the computer geek dept.) but I am good friends with one of the machinist on campus who looked at the parts and said he could 3D print them pretty easily for some cold beverages, but then a new policy came out before he got around to it that the printer is only to be used for campus stuff, it was being abused by people making stuff unfortunately before I did.

I know that Dave said it was a complex job and he could not build all the parts but honestly it does not look that hard to my un-engineering eyes.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

ok, I am not sure what you are asking for. I took a bunch of pictures.
As you can see there is a wavy disc in the middle, that is what forces the contacts to touch the pins in the base, none of it looks terribly hard to make and its all within my ability except maybe the metal plate on top of the disc that follows the contours. I planned on (still do someday) getting the wavy disc 3D printed, the metal plate will have to be punched out on a press and then the rest should be easy. One of my switches came from something else than a Singer, I took pics of that part also, its just where the bracket is welded, just a different angle. I can take far more detailed pictures over the weekend if you tell me what you need. The base where the wires attach is the same for both switches, only difference I can is 2 pins vs. 3 pins holding it together and the different angle on the bracket. Both my wavy discs are broken and even the metal part is not complete on both of them, but its enough to use for a pattern and build one. It won't be easy using my tools which is what I planned on since I only need to build 2 but if there is enough demand some of this work could be farmed out and be made much better. I also have one absolutely PERFECT bakelite cover that could be 3D scanned and come out much better than the alu. casting Dave did, I have one of those also.
Attachments
IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0990.jpg (92.07 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
IMG_0989.jpg
IMG_0989.jpg (117.9 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
IMG_0987.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg (119.96 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
IMG_0985.jpg
IMG_0985.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg (102.08 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
note different angle for the bracket
note different angle for the bracket
IMG_0992.jpg (121.05 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
IMG_0988.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg (103.69 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg (78.3 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
IMG_0986.jpg
IMG_0986.jpg (118.62 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
darcy

Post by darcy »

Thanks, ok I get the idea. Basically it is the same design idea as an Lucas ignition switch with start, park and head lights.

I have Dave's case that he made up. I was thinking of having the base that hold the connections turned out of Teflon etc ( and I can now see how thick that needs to be), then sourcing some connectors to be fitted through the base. That then leads me to the brass plates etc you refer to.

I guess the next step short of 3D printing is some detail drawings and or photos of the unit stripped down?

It is not clear how many moving parts there are inside?
darcy

Post by darcy »

Ps I was also considering converting full and half charge positions to left and right indicator, handling the voltage control via a regulator - not being an electrician I can only assume this works in theory.
darcy

Post by darcy »

Also see http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/ ... IC_ID=3128 for an interesting discussion re MGs and a similar dash switch.
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

I am thinking of going forward with making some of the parts for the SLC2 switch, any demand out there for it ?
mothy
First Name: Roland

Post by mothy »

Normally I would be up for this. But my SLM has none of the assembly at top middle to bottom, so I will pass on this. It would be worth dropping a note to the SOC magazine to see if there is any interest. Also if this switch is fitted to other cars of that period then the VSCC may be interested. I am no longer a member but if you feel this is something to do I can get one of my pals to post something on the vscc website forum.

Roly
-----------------------------------------------
Used to own a 1934 Singer Le Mans

Beer: So much more than just a breakfast drink.
darcy

Post by darcy »

I am interested. But yes it may be of value to try other avenues as well.
darcy

Post by darcy »

Just thinking allowed but it may be possible to have the switch made as a printed circuit board with a simpler rotator disk, ie if there was remake may be an electrical engineer needs to look at it rather than just reinvent the past, after all the internals are hidden in a switch.

Do we have any engineers out there?
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

not a bad idea to remake it with modern electronics and I will look into that as well, but the cover and baseplate will still need to be made in order to look original. If I do this I will be getting all 3 parts made, there is still a lot of work to be done to reproduce one of these even if you have the plastic parts made up. The contacts need to be made, those are fairly easy on the lathe but time consuming, the metal disc needs to be made and matched up to the wavy disc, springs need to be figured out...quite a few details that having it work with modern stuff would be eliminated. But that cover and base plate wont change if you want it to look original. Its a chunk of change ($$$$$$) to get all the plastic bits done but I am going to go for it. Worst that happens is that the wavy disc is not needed and that part is only $10.00 so if I get 10 of each made I only lose $100 (if I have 10 made), the cover and base plate will hurt big $$$. These switches were used on other cars, as far as I know the only difference was the location of the metal tab on the cover as can be seen above in the pics with the non-Singer cover.
darcy

Post by darcy »

You can use the Dave Hardwick castings, not perfect I know, but with the right paint it is hard to tell the difference at the end of the column.

I would have thought the making of the casting with a 3d printer would be the easiest.
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Here is a PDF that Darcy requested I post for him...good work, of course now I want to know what type of switch he used :)
Attachments
Rebuilding an alternate Lucas SLC2 switch.pdf
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 343 times
DarcyG

Post by DarcyG »

You are in luck, this is the switch I used, I bought mine at a Swap meet. This one looks identical, the lever is held on by a small screw and is located on a hex shaft.

http://www.thevintagetractorcompany.co. ... ts_id=3343
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

mikeyr wrote:I am thinking of going forward with making some of the parts for the SLC2 switch, any demand out there for it ?
Hi Mikeyr,
I followed this thread with interest as my restoration of a '35 longtail is at the re-wiring stage. I am an electronic engineer and I am facinated by the SLC2 switch and was dreading having to find a new one. As it turns out mine is still servicable but I am interested to know if you made any progress with your project to remanufacture some switches.

I have attached some photos and after studying how it works I don't think it should be too difficult to get some parts made. The copper and brass parts can be laser cut quite economically. The base, rotor and top plate can be sawn from Tufnol sheet. The difficult part looks like the wavy cam, however if the dynamo has been fitted with a regulator, the F1 and F2 connections will not be needed and the cam could be plain plastic, possibly machined from Tufnol or 3D printed.
Attachments
SLC2 switch 6.jpg
SLC2 switch 5.jpg
SLC2 switch 4a.jpg