Sing 10 Starter Motor

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
Stephen
First Name: Stephen

Sing 10 Starter Motor

Post by Stephen »

Hi Everyone .. I have assembled a 10 hp Singer motor, only to find the starter motor will not mesh when activated.
When I say it does not mesh, it actually does for a second or two and then just grinds away on the side of the ring gear ..
I have had to reconstruct this motor from several Singer 9 and 10 parts, so things may have gotten a little mixed up ..
The flywheel ring gear that is on the 10 motor has 89 teeth, the starter has 9 teeth on the pinion?.
This does not seem to work, do I need a different starter with more or less teeth on the pinion?
I have another starter, from another engine, not even sure it's Singer with 11 teeth on the pinion, but before I connect it up, can someone advise me if it will work ..
Any help would be appreciated..
Regards
Stephen
davida
First Name: david

Re: Sing 10 Starter Motor

Post by davida »

Hi

There is a later flywheel ring gear with 112 teeth. The starter motor for that has two mount holes vs three of earlier one.
The pinion set up on this starter is a different style to the earlier one. The starter's two holes will match with two of the three on the engine.
You will need to get the correct matching units.

David A