Engine numbers / MI and MO

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
steves
First Name: Steve

Engine numbers / MI and MO

Post by steves »

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any comment regarding the engine of a 1935 LM 2-seater Tourer :

The car's current 972 cc engine number is MO 58918, and the block is forged 24 Aug 1934.
Is it likely to be the original engine for chassis no 62849 (factory exit some 12 mths later) ?

Some registration paperwork carries the number : 160884. Possibly an engine number – providing the first digit is in fact the I of MI. If so, would this (later) unit be a more probable original engine ?

Does batch codes MO and MI give any clue to engine-type, tuning level, bhp output, etc ?

Thanks !
/Steve
mothy
First Name: Roland

Re: Engine numbers / MI and MO

Post by mothy »

Hi Steve

I have had a look through the various manuals and documentation that I have and can't find any reference to M.

The engine number will not be more than 5 figures.

It is possible for a 35 car to have a 34 block. Many motor manufacturers would make batches of cast iron blocks and leave them to mature in the outside weather elements for a few months.

Hopefully someone else will come along and be more precise or give further information.

Cheers

Roly
-----------------------------------------------
Used to own a 1934 Singer Le Mans

Beer: So much more than just a breakfast drink.
steves
First Name: Steve

Re: Engine numbers / MI and MO

Post by steves »

Thanks for the input !
I am pretty sure, I have read somewhere that MI is in fact an option for the 972 cc Le Mans engine number.
But can not remember where.
Have not yet heard of MO, though.
./Steve