Hello

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Hello

Post by ColinB »

There was a great turnout at Grimesthorpe but not a single Junior! :(
Meet at Grimesthorpe.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I have been playing with bits of wood to try and understand how the hood structure is fitted together. The attached picture, which only shows one side, appears to work and also fits in with a couple of pictures I have been sent. The actual structure seems to be steel flats with half-round sections applied to the outside, so quite easy to make if I can get the dimensions right and there is one sliding joint to allow it to fold. Is anyone able to give me exact measurements between the pivot points I have highlighted on the picture as well as details on the member sizes?
Hood mock up.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I have received two responses from SOC offering to measure a hood and confirming that there is no sliding joint in a Junior frame. So there is definitely something badly wrong with my geometry! Both responders are away at the moment but will measure up for me in early July. No hurry as I have plenty to get on with.

I have bought 6mm Perspex for the windscreen as I can cut it myself and I plan to make a trip to Vintage Supplies in Norfolk to pick up ribbed aluminium sheet for the running boards. They also have the rubber seal with which to secure the screen in place so I can take a sample of the channel and the Perspex to ensure I get the right one.

Today I have been fitting the flooring. I used a fairly cheap ribbed rubber off eBay which I fitted with the smooth side up. It looks OK. I am puzzling over how to deal with the small steel dish for the the drivers feet as the rubber will not just push into it. I think I'll take it out, cut the rubber around the hole in the floor then re-install the dish to lock the flooring into place. I can then line the dish with flooring material glued into place.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Pictures of floor generally done and remaining door cards in place. There wasn't any sign of door cards within the scuttle so I wonder what goes in there if anything?
floor 1.jpg
floor 2.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Just got my reflectors back from Mr Ardley in Mepal, just down the road from me. One original re-silvered and one newly made. They will make a real difference to the look when fitted and wired in. My radiator surround is still in transit from Australia but I have a tracking number so I'm comforted that it still exists!
lights small 1.jpg
lights small 2.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I'm a bit downhearted as it looks as if the radiator surround I bought from Australia has been lost in transit. Post Australia tell me that it hasn't been scanned since it left Australia in April and that it should have arrived in the UK two days from then. I had expected it to come by surface mail so have waited too long to check up on it I fear. Phill Beesey who sold it to me seems to be away at present but apparently only he can instigate an enquiry into its fate as it is still his property until delivered according to PA's rule. Ho hum.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

sorry to hear that you may have lost the surround...it may still show up.

The car still looks aweome, but is it missing its surround or am I just not seeing it :) :) :)

Sorry, had to attempt some humor or is that humour ?
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Unfortunately the surround that came with her is so thin you can see through it and has part of one side missing. So the Aussie find was a real boost. My friend Dick has the part-made surround that Contour Autocraft didn't finish which he thinks he can complete so not all is lost. And who knows - the Aussie one may still turn up. :D I've been working on my boat and enjoying some hot weather on the river but I'll get back on track on the Singer soon.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Back in the workshop after a summer of all sorts of other stuff. Lots of little details to get on with - I have made door straps with webbing inside, along the lines of the scraps of original parts that came with the car. They need stitching but I'll have to wait until I see my friend who has an industrial machine as my wife won't let me try it on her domestic one!
door straps.jpg
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

welcome back...hope it was a great summer.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Yes indeed thanks Mike. Still lots of gardening to do ready for the winter but I'm very happy to get back onto the Junior after a little break. :D
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I've just been fitting the brake shoes that came in a tin box separately from the car. I thought I had a full set with four pairs but I was surprised to find that the rear drums have two sets in each - one set for the hand brake and one for the foot brake. I suppose that would have been obvious had I thought about it, as there are separate rod sets for each system, but I hadn't thought about it at all :oops: . I am certain that there will only be one set each in the front drums, but unfortunately I am out of shoes! Hopefully one of the Singer clubs will be able to help me out.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Found the remaining shoes in another box! I was short of return springs but Mike Hyman sorted me out. So progress continues although the last bits always take longer than you hope. I have also been working on my Land Rover and helping my friend David with his unfortunate washer problem (see my other post!).

Key issues to resolve are the radiator surround saga and my near side wing appears to be off a different and larger car as it sticks out around 2" beyond the running board. It looks difficult to modify as its the inner curved section that it too wide.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I have been trying to find a suitable seal to go between the windscreen and the scuttle. In the end I combined a hard rubber seal that was too loose with a closed cell foam section I cut from some material I had for (partially) sound proofing my land rover.

I think the result will be OK as the foam allows some irregularities in my home-made screen to be taken out while still pressing the surrounding seal onto the scuttle.
Seal 1.jpg
seal 2.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I have made a template for the lower screen which I will use to cut the shape from 5mm Perspex as a first version of the screen. This will I think be fine for a low-use fine-weather car but if it isn't I'll get a laminated glass one made. Just one question is how the screen is fixed in position - is it mastic or a felt or rubber channel? I seemed to smell burning rubber when welding, although there was nothing tangible to see, so perhaps that is a clue.
Lower screen template.jpg
Lower screen template.jpg (118.53 KiB) Viewed 2085 times