Hello

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Hello

Post by ColinB »

By the way it would be really helpful if someone could post some pictures of the details of a Junior Tourer windscreen showing particularly how the top screen interfaces with the lower fixed part.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

In the absence of any pictures I just made it up. I checked the length of the top glass by temporarily fixing the remains of the lower screen into place. I cut the channel to length then welded the original side trim pieces into place with a full penetration at the top and three plug welds down each side. Pictures show a trial fit which is OK - the lower edge looks a little tight but I presume this should help grip the glass. Quite a bit of finishing is required before it can be painted but I have primed it to keep the surface clean.

Last major job is to bend the lower channel to follow the curve of the scuttle and then make a jig so I can weld it accurately to the remains of the lower screen. I had a go with a scrap length and found I could bend it cold without major distortion by doing it gradually by hand in the vice. Watch this space as a test piece is never the same as the real thing!
Trial closed.jpg
Trial fitted.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Painted the rail and fitted it with the pivot mechanism in place. Seems to work OK. I haven't drilled it for the wiper motor yet as I need to decide what to do about the wipers. I have three options none of which work at present:
Top one on the picture is a Lucas King of the Road that came with the car although it wasn't fitted. This is broken inside (a piece of casting that holds the pivot is broken off so probably not repairable.
Middle one is another larger King of the Road which rattles a bit but seemed to move slightly when I give it a good suck. This one may be repairable but I have yet to have a look inside.
The lower one is a British Folberth Junior that also doesn't work at present and I have also not ventured into the innards yet.

Decisions decisions....
Top rail fitted.jpg
another view.jpg
wiper motors.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Running board update - Mike the Junior spares holder for ASCO has sent me a great sketch showing how the two parts of the running board fit together: they are each folded back on themselves and then join together as in the sketch below. He tells me the folded section is what makes the board strong enough to step on.
image.jpg
He has also confirmed that they are fixed to the chassis not the body.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Phew - I just won an auction for a pretty decent 1929 radiator surround from Australia. Fortunately the vendor will post to the UK. :D I'll offer my rather shredded one to the Singer Owner's Club and ASCO members to see if anyone can make use of it once I have my grubby hands on the replacement.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Lower screen surround generally bent to shape and tacked to the original sides. I have run out of welding wire so completion is delayed. It is sitting on the original rubber channel which is unfortunately too far gone to re-use and the profile is uncommon so I'll have to see what I can come up with!
image.jpg
image.jpg
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

Your work continues to amaze and inspire!

Thanks so much for taking us along with you as you progress!

So many Triumphs shared!

Happy Easter, and Best Wishes,

David
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Thanks David for that generous comment. I have a larger store of perseverance than skill but I am enjoying the challenges. :D
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Bit of a hiatus at present as I'm waiting for my friend Dick to find time to work on the running boards with me, I have a rad surround in the post from Australia and I'm waiting for Peter Largate Ardley from Mepal to get my headlight reflectors finished so I can wire them in. I have painted the lower screen surround and I have decided to have a go at casting the rubber moulding that goes beneath it as I don't think the exact part is available. In the meantime I have started on my Sprite....
IMG_1176.jpg
IMG_1175 (3).jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I had a piece of pure luck: Dick Preston who is taking over the spares hoard from the late John Blason for the Singer Owners Club found side screens for a tourer in the vast array of singer parts. I had a long standing arrangement to meet him at a friend's house (my friend has a 1927 saloon and Dick has been working on the engine) and the screens are now loosely fitted on my car! They need a lot of work but that has never bothered me. Still no sign of my radiator surround from Australia.
sidescreens.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Running boards generally made and in place. Not drilled or bolted in yet as I want to look at some originals at the SOC meeting in Grantham in a couple of weeks before fixing them. Not quite to the pattern I was sent as I can't bend the tight turns required. I will add additional steel to make them look right and also get the correct ribbed aluminium from Vintage Supplies in Norfolk to finish them off. I have also repaired the magneto distributor with Milliput today where the original surround had sheared off. It will have gone off tomorrow so I'll have a go at starting her.
Board.jpg
repair.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Tried starting her today but no luck. I went through the spark and fuel issues: spark? Ouch yes fine; fuel? Carb clean but plugs not wet. Must be sucking air. I put sealant around the interface between the carb flange and the manifold, pulled out the choke, pressed the starter and off she went :D . The first trip down the road isn't too far away.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Congratulations !!!

Since here in the U.S. its National Donut Day, I will have a donut in your honor !

I can't wait to hear its driving again.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Thanks Mike: I think a picture of the donut is in order! :D
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

It's the SOC meet at Grimesthorpe Castle on Sunday. I'm really hoping there will be a Junior Tourer or two there so I can see details of the hood and other bits and pieces. Unfortunately my Little Bea won't be ready to go to the ball this year.