Hello

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Hello

Post by ColinB »

I would love to work on a Le Mans Mike. Unfortunately I'm now heavily into the deconstruction/reconstruction of my Sprite! My wife thinks I'm mad and she would far rather be in California! :D
more steel.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Just a Junior update - Dick Preston has almost finished a hood frame for me based on an identical Tourer in his village. It should be ready within the next fortnight. The owner of the other Tourer is having a new hood made and I am joining him in the order, so Little Bea should be generally weathertight quite soon.

PS I sold the Sprite as a project. I only realised how much I hated working on a monocoque when the Light Six turned up!
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

We had a really nice and fairly long drive through the Fens on Sunday - it was a lovely day and Little Bea behaved perfectly: she hardly smoked at all so I think the exercise has done her good. The brakes weren't great and I was a little worried about her old joints so I have put the Six on hold for a couple of days to service her. I have changed all of her grease nipples for 5/16" BSF with a modern profile as these fit the grease gun properly so she is now fully Iubricated. The brakes just needed a tweak and will be much better although a road test is on hold because it has been raining.
We plan to use her far more this year, largely for trips to and from local pubs. :D
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

By the way - don't forget the spit pins. The Junior's steering was a little sloppy and on examination I found I had forgotten to to put the split pin in the castle nut on the steering box to drag link connection and it had loosened. I am only confessing to this embarrassing omission to make sure everyone knows how easy it is to forget something and end up with a potentially dangerous situation. :oops:
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I'm off to Wales tomorrow to pick up the new hood for the Junior. I'm setting off early as its a fairly long run (around 4.5 hours each way) but I'm looking forward to seeing Dick Preston and having a poke around in his workshop!
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Nine hours in the car went well as I left early and cleared Birmingham before the rush-hour. Dick is a lovely multi-talented man living in an idyllic old church vestry in Snowdonia. In his workshop he has a beautiful flat-two Jowett and an exquisite Porlock I quite fell in love with that he has built on an original chassis. Tuned engine and 4 speed box make this very desirable, and he may be selling it. Oh no! :o - the Series One my have to go....

I picked up my hood and have fitted the basic parts to Little Bea, although I have to fit the connectors at the rear to hold it down and help to stretch out the creases. The fitting over the screen is spot on and Linda is delighted that the lining is a similar colour to our seats so domestic harmony continues to reign.
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

Post by DarcyG »

Looks great, but may be a red lining to match the body? :D :D [img][/img]
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

My wife is happy with it Darcy so I am also very happy! :D
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Hood fixed with 'lift the dot' fittings. A bit of adjustment still required as one or two of the original holes for the fittings in the body are too high, but the hood gives a nice period look to the little car.
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Having slept on it I think my fasteners are over the top and brass screws with cup washers would look better.......
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

Here's one I made earlier...!
Bill
Attachments
img    for can078.jpg
img    for can076.jpg
img    for can075.jpg
img    for can074.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Nice one Bill! Where is she now?
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Now I have weather protection the issue of windscreen wipers starts to become a priority. I have three working options comprising Lucas vacuum or two versions of the 6v Lucas electric wipers: Pull and Spin or another one the model number of which is unclear.

I have no experience of these although the unknown Lucas is quite like the ones on my Land Rover. I understand that the vacuum wiper is poor technically as it doesn't work unless you have a slack throttle giving a decent vacuum, so although this is the correct period piece I don' think I'll go for it. The Pull and Spin is the most energetic and neatest of the two electric options so I'm quite tempted to fit that one. Does anyone know when this model was in production?

Fortunately the holes in the screen are the same for all options.
1.JPG

2.JPG
telco.2

Post by telco.2 »

Hi Colin,
Vacuum type is useless on a small engine car (imho of course but also from practical experience!) I used pull & spin very effectively on my '27 Junior.
I took the car for MoT and whilst I was there I was offered a very satisfactory sum by a local collector - considering I bought it as a basket case that fitted into the back of my swb Series 1 Land Rover! I only bought it to stop it being scrapped & most folk thought I was crazy - but I enjoy a challenge.
I know it was sold at auction after the collector died but don't know its current whereabouts.
Good to see yours up & running
kind regards
Bill
telco.2

Post by telco.2 »

Of course, if you really wanted to go up market & modern you could try this one...the one that got me started on Singers. And yes I still have the same understanding wife!!!!!
Attachments
Liz & Daisy.jpg