Hello

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Hello

Post by ColinB »

First door cards made and trial fitted. I'm waiting for the foam so I can cover the rear quarter. I must also get some flooring as that seems to go in before the lower pieces of trim.
image.jpg
image.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Still working on the interior. I moved her out of the garage today to turn her round having trial fitted the rear mudguards. She is starting to look quite pretty! Still loads to do of course - running boards, rad surround and wind screen plus the hood are the major items......
nice view.jpg
froux
First Name: françois

Post by froux »

Nice job. Thanks for the update.
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

Well, that's a lot of progress!!

Congratulations! And thank you for taking us along for the ride. The car looks so good that, had you not mentioned its unfinished bits, I would have thought it was further along.

Keep at it: your work looks just great.

David
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Thanks David. I am really pleased with how she is coming along!
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

We have miserable weather this winter - very wet and getting colder. I need to spray one more coat before I can fix the door cards etc. and this is not a good idea in the cold and damp. So I have been playing with my Series One Land Rover instead! :D

I have bought an original buff log book on eBay (only £8 so I couldn't resist it) for a Singer Junior registered in East Anglia on 1/10/1928. Registration is DX7518 in the name of Ada Grimes of Ipswich. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I have checked and the number is not on the DVLA's current records.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

As the weather has dried off I bit the bullet today and ran a heater for the morning before putting two coats of paint on the body. Looks OK. I'll start finalising the interior once I have bought an off cut of carpet.

Dick has made the basic running boards but I would be grateful for any advice on how these are fixed to the body.

I bought a brass Solex carburettor for a Junior on eBay on the basis that it should be in 'Singer' hands. I'll keep it as a spare but if someone has a real need for one I'll be happy to pass it on at cost (£50).
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Worked on the door pockets today following advice from Ken, a friend in Lancashire. I'm happy with the result. I made pockets based on little boxes I made then covered in the vinyl material. These I screwed onto the cards: although I don't think this is authentic it looks OK. I have re-used the aluminium strip even though it is a bit bashed as I really want to retain as much 'age' on this old girl as I can.
door cards 1.jpg
door cards 2.jpg
Door cards 3.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

A bit more progress today.
Upholstery 22 Feb 16.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Carried on trimming. I had to make it up over the wheel arches as I didn't have any patterns but it looks OK to me. Carpet selection becoming urgent!
image.jpg
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I see a wrinkle in the back panel, take it apart all the way to the chassis and start over...seriously, you are moving too fast and making us uhm...slower...restorers look bad

:) :) :)
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Ha ha! Actually the panels around the rear were quite tricky as there is a lot of stuff underneath them - half round stiffening bars and two large nuts holding the hood structure in place. So they are not as good as I was hoping to make them.

Don't think I'll start again though as I have an Austin Healey Sprite waiting for attention as my next project and I'm hoping to have my little Singer ready for the Singer National Day in June which is quite near me at Grimsthorpe Castle in Lincolnshire.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Had an idle hour or so and made the second lever on the steering column. I had the original but it was in two pieces and was too crystallised to repair. The first one I made is on the right and the recent one on the left - it needs a little more finishing to match the other but its almost there.

I have lighting issues but have found a local man who can spin new reflectors and apply the silver coating so I'm off to see him tomorrow. I'm going to Dick's this afternoon to recover my tatty rad surround as I want to locate the bonnet and bonnet strip over the scuttle in the right place. He picked up the partly made one from Contour Autocraft some months ago with the intention of finishing it but not a lot has happened in the meantime so far as I can tell. Dick is an extremely skilled craftsman but he is sooooo sloooow!
IMG_1111.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Adding a few details such as the number plate, trim over the top of the rear and studs for the hood.
image.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Playing around with the missing windscreen parts today. I bought some 16mm channel and a piece of 20mm tube in mild steel having gone off the idea of using the stainless piece I had already bought. I drilled 3/8" holes in the tube to make a slot 5 1/2" from each end and then drilled and tapped for M6 countersunk screws to connect the channel to the tube as per the original (other than the M6 size that is!). I cut back the channel at each end and tacked the side pieces to it before assembling this to the tube after which I welded the sides to the tube similar to the rather corroded fragments of the original. I'm not great welder so I did a trial weld first on some offcuts which went pretty well, but of course the real thing is more messy though I think its strong enough. The M6 bolts I used are not the final ones - I have some 25mm slotted countersunk ones on order from eBay.
1 Slot.jpg
2 Channel in place.jpg
3 Side pieces welded on.jpg