Singer Junior info and pics needed - Restoration Updates

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
nzclassiccarnutt
First Name: Owen

Re: Singer Junior info and pics needed - Restoration Updates

Post by nzclassiccarnutt »

So i am having issues identifying exactly what year my car is, I was told it was a 1931 when i brought it but not sure. It has the accelerator in the middle but others i have seen online appear to be on the right. The throttle control on the steering column is on the bottom
Where are the frame numbers? and can anyone decode them?
Just trying to figure out a few bits as i assemble the jigsaw puzzle.
What does the spare wheel bracket attach to? I have a single bent bracket and can't figure out where it goes.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Unfortunately for Juniors, the website does not have a lot of information.

You may want to look here http://singercars.com/car_numbers/ and hope that a Le Mans or 1.5 has the number in approximately the same area but no promises.

Mike
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
froux
First Name: françois

Post by froux »

Some pictures from this ebay ad could be of some interest for you:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-Junior ... 0671073019
Rgds. François.
nzclassiccarnutt

froux wrote:Some pictures from this ebay ad could be of some interest for you:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-Junior ... 0671073019
Rgds. François.
Yeah i have seen the porlock cars but not quite the style i'm after, My one won't have doors and looking at more rounded back rather than the boat tail style.

I found some numbers but have no idea how to get any info using them:
On steering box: 18951
Motor 30224
Diff filler bung: 8 4 24464

So if anyone can help with these numbers it would be very helpful.

Also i need to know how the accelerator linkages are usually assembled, i have a collection of parts but no idea what belongs to the car and what is extra.

So i am about to cut about 1 1/2" off the steering column to move the wheel to a better location, had to make up a plate to raise the front of the motor as somehow it seemed to tilt downward which could be a pain if i ever needed/wanted to use the crank handle as it wouldn't fit through the radiator shroud hole.
nzclassiccarnutt

So got brutal with the Jigsaw, looking more the way i want it now
And got the coil and regulator where i want them, Started replacing the ignition leads with the new braided lead that just arrived

Bad cell phone pics for now
nzclassiccarnutt

I had a go at starting the car today and noticed 2 problems.
1: the Solex 26BF carb is leaking out the main jet, it appears to have been rebuilt but still leaking, can anyone help?

2: The timing is out, does anyone have the details for setting it? The motor has been apart so i hope the previous owner didn't get it too far out.
(It had flames exiting the carb so i assume we have spark but just at the wrong time)
nzclassiccarnutt

So sorted out the timing today, it turns out that the handbook i had was very helpful, and now IT LIVES!!! well sort of, i can currently only fill the float bowl by hand and run it until the fuel runs out and the carb is still leaking. Have to see if i can find someone local to have a look at the carb.
So it turns out that the previous owner has set the timing 180 degrees out. After removing the clutch inspection plate and roatating the flywheel so the 1/4 mark was aligned with the mark on the bell housing, i then removed and rotated the distributor so that it was pointing to #1 cylinder and with a quick spin of the crank handle it spluttered into life.
nzclassiccarnutt

Started looking at the spare motor today, pulled the head off, bore looks good, head looks good (although filthy) it has Polson pistons (anyone know if they are standard or replacement ones?)

I plan to rebuild the extra motor slowly so i have a spare around just as a precaution.
Ordered Brooklands aero screens and a brass Motometer plus a few extra bits today off a new site i found (new to me) http://www.completeautomobilist.com/ so many pretty things, never enough money
nzclassiccarnutt

Just ordered the braided wire from http://www.completeautomobilist.com should be here next week so i can start making a loom from scratch. shouldn't be too bad as there are minimal electrics but still have no idea how to wire half of the rotax dash panel.
StephenB
First Name: Stephen

Post by StephenB »

Hi there, greetings from Australia. I have a running 1930 Junior 3 door tourer, and a non running 2 door roadster.
if you let me know what pictures etc you want I can email these to you.
Teh Singer Clubs in Australia have quite a few Juniors and everyone tries to help.
Unfortunately I don't have any spare chassis bits inc the hand brake pieces but a photo may help you out.

Re the wiring, I am an old train electrician and when I rewired mine the thought of only one fuse was too much to bear, so my car now has 9 fuses feeding all lights fuel pump (I fitted an electric one) ignitician and electrricl fan seperately. Soem people feel its not original enough but to be honest I don't care.
nzclassiccarnutt

StephenB wrote:Hi there, greetings from Australia. I have a running 1930 Junior 3 door tourer, and a non running 2 door roadster.
if you let me know what pictures etc you want I can email these to you.
Teh Singer Clubs in Australia have quite a few Juniors and everyone tries to help.
Unfortunately I don't have any spare chassis bits inc the hand brake pieces but a photo may help you out.

Re the wiring, I am an old train electrician and when I rewired mine the thought of only one fuse was too much to bear, so my car now has 9 fuses feeding all lights fuel pump (I fitted an electric one) ignitician and electrricl fan seperately. Soem people feel its not original enough but to be honest I don't care.

My car will have one fuse for the lights and one for the fuel pump, the rest will run through the original dash fuse so should give a bit of extra protection, it won't have wipers or indicators so not a lot of extra load there. Originality went down the crapper when i chopped the windscreen frame off and decided to make it a 2 seater but i think for a car that is not worth a lot it's better to make something you want to get out and drive rather than a car that just sits in a garage.
Will have to see how warm it runs once it's all back together.
I do need a pic of the cowl where the bonnet attaches as my one was in a lot of pieces and had bits missing when i got it.
StephenB
First Name: Stephen

Post by StephenB »

HI there, you can email me at thebitmeads"at"gmail"dot"com
from there I can work out what photos you need
regards
StephenB
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Did you get all the info you need? My 1929 Junior has a complete chassis and I can send you pictures of any parts you need clarification on.

Regards
Colin