Hello

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Hello

Post by ColinB »

My two daughters plus one grandson up for the weekend. The little car has gone down well except that I forgot to mention the lack of brakes!
DSC_0005.JPG
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

brakes are over-rated, there is always a tree stump somewhere to slow you down
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Exactly what I told them!
froux
First Name: françois

Post by froux »

Nice family car :D . Who needs a monospace ?
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Had to look up where Aix les Bains - Savoie is...Darn, a bit out of the way it might be too much of a detour as I drive from Lyon to Cannes.

back to the subject...car looks GREAT, now get the brakes working.
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

Simply Brilliant!
froux
First Name: françois

Post by froux »

@mike : Next time, don't hesitate ! I hope you'll enjoy the "route nationale 7" our sort of Route 66 : http://routenationale7.blogspot.fr/2012 ... 3-par.html 8)
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

While planning major surgery on my Sprite I have overhauled a vacuum windscreen wiper motor. They are very simple inside with a switch operated by the pistons at the end of their throw to move the suction from one end to the other. You can see the mechanism on another one I have dismantled for repair. The key issue appears to be loss of suction due to failure of the leather washers but fortunately I found a company that makes them for £10 a pair. Having ground off the rivets holding the old ones on I fitted new ones with pop rivets and re-greased the cylinders. When attached to a vacuum cleaner I was delighted to see it working so I will drill the Singer's windscreen and fit it. I don't intend to re-paint the cylinders as I like the look of age.
internals.jpg
Working.jpg
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

froux wrote:@mike : Next time, don't hesitate ! I hope you'll enjoy the "route nationale 7" our sort of Route 66 : http://routenationale7.blogspot.fr/2012 ... 3-par.html 8)
By accident that is the road I am taking in May, I didn't know it was a special road, THANK YOU

And Colin, I agree with not repainting those parts, they look just fine as-is. On my car (when I work on it) I try to repaint everything but everything on my car is in such bad shape that I need to paint. If I had parts that looked like those cosmetically, I would not touch them.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I have brakes! I took a front hub off (not that easy) and found newly lined brakes in place so that was obviously not the problem. Looking at old pictures I saw that there is a hand adjuster beneath the floor which would tighten up the system. A few turns and both front wheels lock up when I apply the foot brake. There will doubtless be some fine adjustments to make but at least I'm on the right track.
Brake adjuster.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

The dial on my speedo was badly flaking off and the mechanism was stuck being full of rubbish and corrosion. I sent it off to Mike Flannery (01594 861095) who has done a cracking job. It gained a few miles during testing but will as a result work after a fashion. The dial is hand painted. He left the bezel in its original state at my request.
First things to do 001 (2).JPG
restored.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Little Bea is making too much smoke to make her usable on the road. It is worse after a period of idling and Mike Hyman tells me this is a sure-fire symptom of leakage down the inlet valve guides. What happens is that the high suction when the throttle is closed will draw oil down the inlet guides which then either burns or chucks itself into the exhaust when she is revved up. Wear in the rings gives a steady burn.

I will take the head into Meridian Engineering in Cambridge where they can check for either worn guides or valve stems (or both). If its the guides they will sleeve them in bronze as you can't get spares.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

As it happens Meridian didn't have the kit to bore out my guides. This may be a blessing as I noticed on taking the head gasket off that there was quite lot of oil between it and the block. On closer inspection I observed that the gasket had more or less disintegrated around one of the studs at #1 cylinder thus not sealing that area properly. This could had allowed #1 piston to suck oil in from the oil return around the timing chain. I will get a new gasket and try that first before I do anything drastic with the head.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I got a new head gasket from Dick Preston which arrived on Saturday. After I had fitted it I felt significantly better compression on the handle and she fired up with no problem. I took her down the road for a couple of hundred yards and the smoke virtually disappeared. So meeting my objective for the past 2 years I took my wife out in her around the village for Drive it Day. First time on the road for this little car since 1962. I think the magneto timing needs adjustment as she hesitates a little after changing into 3rd gear but then picks up beautifully and goes really smoothly up to round 40mph. The picture, which still shows a little smoke, was taken outside the house at the start of my test run. :D
On the Road.jpg
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

you would be smokey too if someone fired you up after resting 55 or so years, give the car a break :)

I will be done with the Mini soon, so anytime you want to come help with my LM will be fine with me.